The Kaduna State Government has lifted its two-month ban on mobile phone services.
This is due to recent attacks by bandits along the Kaduna-Abuja Road despite the ban.
The State Government through the Commissioner of Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, announced the development on Friday.
Aruwan said the relevant government agency in charge of telecommunications had been directed to lift the ban.
However, Aruwan said other measures initiated to tackle banditry like the ban on motorcycles, weekly markets, selling of fuel in kegs would remain in force.
The state government had asked telecommunications firms to suspend their services in the state from September 30, towards checking the activities of bandits.
Aruwan had disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday, September 29.
Aruwan had said the use of motorcycles for transport services and the sale of petrol in jerrycans have also been suspended across the state.
The statement had read, “I am here to inform you of, and to formally announce the implementation of certain measures to assist the security agencies in parts of the state. You will recall that Governor Nasir El-Rufai announced in a media chat yesterday (28th September 2021) that the state government has formally requested the Federal Government to enforce the shutdown of telecom services in parts of the state identified by security agencies as requiring such measures.
“The relevant federal agencies have today informed the Kaduna State Government that the processes for telecoms shutdown in parts of the state have commenced. As part of the steps to address the current security situation in Kaduna State and neighbouring states in the North-West and North-Central regions, KDSG has held several meetings with security agencies to adopt critical measures towards crushing bandits in their identified hideouts.”