Buhari’s Government Deliberating Withholding Names Of Alleged Terrorism Sponsors — HURIWA

3

The Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria has accused the President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration of deliberately refusing to release the names of Nigerians that are allegedly sponsoring terrorism in the country.

President Buhari had on October 1, 2021, in his speech during the 61st Independence Day anniversary of Nigeria, said the government had been able to identify sponsors of the secessionist groups and their leaders.

He had disclosed that among them was a member of the National Assembly.

Also, on Thursday Minister of Information and Culture,  Lai Mohammed, said the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit uncovered 123 companies and 33 bureau de change operators linked with terrorism in the country, in addition to 26 suspected kidnappers and seven co-conspirators.

The minister added that 45 people suspected of funding terrorism had been arrested and would soon be prosecuted.

Reacting in an interview with Daily Post, National Coordinator of HURIWA, Emmanuel Onwubuko, accused the Buhari administration of deliberately withholding the names of the alleged sponsors.

HURIWA alleged that the Federal Government was not serious about ending the insecurity across the country, insisting that the government had the data of Nigerians and should be able to fish out the alleged financers.

He said, “The secrecy surrounding the unveiling of the identities of the terrorism sponsors is a pointer to the fact that some persons in government are into something that they don’t want Nigerians to know. Nigerians have the right to know those who have made life very unfortunate for them for more than a decade.

“The government has skeletons in its cupboard and that is why they keep violating the rights of Nigerians to know the sponsors of Boko Haram and other terrorist groups. This is why they are after radio stations and other media platforms, trying to silence the voice of Nigerians.

“The Attorney-General of the Federation once told Nigerians that they have compiled over 400 names of some terrorists and have charged them to court, where is that case and what is the status of that matter?”

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept