JUST IN: Fire destroys several shops in KASU


Several shops and other valuables were destroyed on Tuesday evening when fire gutted the business section of the Kaduna State University otherwise known as KASU market.

The fire, according to sources, started from a particular shop shortly after power was restored around 6:00pm.

A student told The Nation that many of his colleagues made frantic efforts to put out the fire while they awaited the arrival of fire service but could no longer help the situation when a substance exploded from one of the burning shops.

According to the student, the explosion from one of the shops escalated the fire, which extended to more shops while the students watched helplessly.

The source said: “The fire started when NEPA brought light around after six with just a shop, then we called the fire service and they didn’t come.

“So, the students started to forcefully bring out generator and other things before one shop exploded and the the fire increased.

“Most of the shop owners had closed for the day and had gone home when the fire started.

“If many of them were around, it would helped to a large extent because they would have at least been able to remove flammable materials from their shops and that would have help put the fire under control.”

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept