The developer of the three-storey building which collapsed in Onike area of Yaba, Lagos state has been arrested and would be prosecuted, the
Lagos state government has confirmed.
While the developer has not been named, he was however arrested shortly after it was reported that five people died after the building collapsed on Saturday afternoon, February 12.
Confirming that the developer will be prosecuted, Lagos state ministry of physical planning and urban development disclosed that the developer returned to the site despite a stop-work order on the structure.
Idris Salako, Lagos commissioner for physical planning and urban development said in a statement;
“Preliminary findings indicated that the site had been sealed off twice by the Lagos State Building Control Agency in 2021 for non-compliance with building regulations after which the site was abandoned,” the earlier statement reads.
“However, the developer later broke government seal, sneaked into the site and re-commenced construction without official authorisation.
“The developer in charge of the site has since been arrested and handed over to the RRS Team.
“The Government regrets the needless loss of lives and property due to his unlawful conduct and antics of defying stop-work orders as well as evading supervision.
“It is hoped that his prosecution will send a strong warning to all recalcitrant developers that it is mandatory to build right and engage professionals in constructing buildings in Lagos State, as we will not hesitate to bring to book whoever errs against the law.”
The state also said “excavation of the site by emergency responders” will continue “until the site is levelled to ground zero”.